Beginning iOS Development
Deploying to Your iDevice — Part 1
Obtaining your UDID
- Launch Xcode
- Open the Organizer window by selecting the Window→Organizer menu item.
- Click on the Devices tab.
- Plug your device (that’s what we call iPhones, iPads, or iPod Touches) into your computer.
- After a bit your device should show up in the list on the left. If if doesn’t happen automatically, click on the row that shows your device.
- If you see a button in the big panel on the right labelled Use for Development, click on it. Wait for Xcode to finish this step.
- When the previous step has completed you should see something like this. It will be very similar, but not exactly like this.
- Double-click on the Identifier. It’s the very long one, not the Serial Number. Once it’s highlighted copy it. The is your device’s UDID (Universal Device Identifier).
- Paste it into an email that you will send to me. The email needs to contain these items:
- Your name.
- The UDID.
- The type of your device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch).
- The email address you used to register with Apple as a developer.
- Send this email to my address: email@example.com with a Subject of Deployment.
- That’s it for Part 1. Stay tuned.